Your benefits

Last updated - 21 January 2019

This will provide you with information about benefit entitlement and recent changes to welfare benefits.

What am I entitled to?

Find out which benefits you are entitled to and how much you could claim by using this benefits calculator

What is the benefit cap?

The benefit cap limits the amount that most working-age people can claim. It is set at £296 per week for single people and £442 per week for lone parents and couples with or without children. Lower limits will apply outside of London.

Any amount you receive above the benefit cap will be deducted from your Housing Benefit.

Will it affect me?

For more information on whether your benefits will be affected you can use the Government’s benefit cap calculator.

We can also offer advice and support, use our 'get in touch' tool at the bottom of the page to get in touch with our Welfare Benefits Advisors.

What is the Bedroom Tax?

The removal of the spare room subsidy or ‘bedroom tax’ affects Housing Benefit entitlement for working age people.

This means that the amount homes receive is now linked to the number of bedrooms and people in your home. If you have one spare bedroom, your Housing Benefit will be cut by 14% of the rent you pay every week. If you have two or more spare bedrooms you will lose 25%.

If your benefit is cut you will have to pay the difference between your housing benefit and your rent.

Will it affect me?

You can work out whether this will affect you by either using the Citizens Advice bedroom calculator.

Universal Credit

The Government has combined many working age benefits and allowances into a single payment called Universal Credit.


    UC is a new benefit for people under statutory retirement age. It has now been rolled out across the country and replaces some existing benefits and tax credits.

    Universal Credit has replaced:

    • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
    • Income Support.
    • Child Tax Credit.
    • Working Tax Credit.
    • Housing Benefit.

    There are several differences between Universal Credit and previous benefits.

    • You have to apply for UC online.
    • It will be paid monthly into a bank account of your choice.
    • If you get help with your housing costs this will be included in your monthly payment. You will be responsible for paying your full rent to Genesis.
    • If you live with a partner you will receive a single payment that covers both of you.

    When will I start getting Universal Credit?

    UC is now available in all areas.

    If you’re already claiming one or more of the benefits being phased out you should carry on claiming as normal. You’ll be told when you need to do anything differently.

    However, if you need to make a new benefit claim or your circumstances change, you may be asked to claim UC.

    How does it work?

    Unlike Housing Benefit which is usually paid to your landlord, UC will be paid to you directly. This means that you’ll be responsible for paying your full rent to Genesis. The easiest way to pay your rent is by Direct Debit.

    If you are already paying a part of your rent set up a Direct Debit by calling us on 033 3000 3000. This means that when your rent is due it will be taken out of your bank account without you having to do anything.

    UC will be paid monthly into your bank account. There are two things you can do to get ready for this:

    • If you don’t already have one, open a bank account. Make sure you can use it to set up direct debits or standing orders to pay your bills.
    • Make a monthly household budget to keep track of your spending across the month.

    For further support and advice please get in touch with our Welfare Benefits team using our 'Get in touch' tool at the bottom of the page.

    Money Manager

    Universal Credit Money Manager