Modern Slavery Act Transparency Statement
Last updated - 2 April 2019
Who we are
Genesis Housing Association Limited is one of England’s leading providers of housing and care. A member of the G15 group, we provide housing and care to over 100,000 people in London and the South East.
Genesis Housing Association Limited is the parent organisation of a number of subsidiaries. Together they are referred to as ‘Genesis’ in this statement.
In April 2018, Genesis merged with Notting Hill Housing Association. This statement reflects on the work done around modern slavery in Genesis in the last year. A new approach consistent with our legal requirements will be developed as part of the integration of the merged organisation.
Our Mission, Values and Behaviours
Genesis is proud to be a business with a commercial mind and a social heart. We have always been about much more than just bricks and mortar. Our mission statement is “Creating and Sustaining Thriving Communities” as we want to demonstrate our commitment to helping our customers and their communities to thrive and have the best possible chances of enjoying prosperous and healthy futures.
Our Values and Behaviours, which are embedded in everything we do, define how we do things at Genesis. Our Values describe the way we work and the ‘contract’ between us, our customers, stakeholders and partners. They underpin everything that we do, and we have spent the last year working with our staff and colleagues to weave them into the fabric of our organisation and working practices.
Our approach to combatting modern slavery and human trafficking is in keeping with our mission and values as well as meeting our legal and regulatory duties. We recognise the detrimental effect Modern Slavery has on global society and we are committed to playing our role in combatting it.
Our People/Working Practices
We are committed to being an employer of choice and this is reflected in our value “Good Employer”. We are proud to provide a safe place to work with terms and conditions that meet or exceed minimum legal requirements.
Our Customers and Communities
We are committed to our responsibilities in safeguarding children and adults at risk. We want all of our staff and contractors to be alert to the signs of abuse and neglect, including modern slavery and human trafficking offences. We also recognise the importance of our customers and communities being alert to potential offences as a key part of tackling slavery. In 2017/18 we have:
- Raise awareness with our staff and customers around modern slavery and human trafficking offences so our people are alert to potential offences and know how to respond; and
- Develop training for all of our staff and volunteers on Modern Slavery.
Our Supply Chain
At Genesis we are committed to ethical procurement. As part of this, we are committed to ensuring our supply chain is free from modern slavery. In 2017/18 we have:
- Communicated our anti-slavery stance to all existing suppliers;
- Updated our procurement procedures and standard contract terms to reflect our anti-slavery stance; and
- Trained our contract managers so they are alert to potential risks and can react quickly and appropriately
Our policy environment supports our anti-slavery stance. Key policies include:
- Our Whistleblowing policy which enables staff to report any concerns they have;
- Our HR policies which create an environment in which staff rights and dignity are respected;
- Our Health and Safety policies which set out our position on ensuring a safe workplace;
- Our safeguarding policy which details how we will work with our customers and other agencies in the event that a child or adult at risk is subject to abuse, including modern slavery and human trafficking offences ; and
- Our tenancy management policies which set out the action to be taken where our properties are used for unlawful purposes.
This statement is made under section 54 (1) of the Modern Slavery Act 2015 and reflects Genesis’ position on Modern Slavery for the 2017/18 – 2018/19 financial year. This statement covers Genesis Housing Association Limited and all legal entities that form part of it.